So, for future reference and anyone who wants to know:
- you give your official notice in writing when your DBS has cleared. Any outstanding things for the next job can be sorted out in the notice period, but the DBS is the only thing that will stop you starting
- you can let your manager know unofficially. it's seen as a polite thing to do, but it's not essential. But as I learnt they prefer to have an idea you're thinking about leaving before they receive an email from your new trust asking for a reference. Flaw in my grand plan was timing. But my manager wasn't too cross - she likes me so we just had a chat about it.
It has gotten a little bit awkward, to be honest. While my manager was very supportive to my face about my choice to leave, she has asked the sisters I speak to and respect to find out why I'm leaving and what she can offer me to stay. While it's very much appreciated that she wants to keep me, it does make it awkward when I see her as she's not directly discussing these options with me.
I'm a little conflicted now about leaving, I'm going to admit it here and only here. I want to go to PICU, nowhere else can offer the experiences they do, but I like where I work, sort of. I love the team, but the actual work is so bland. I need to move, but if I can achieve what I want to without having to leave should I stay? One of the sisters I respect, perhaps the most, said she felt if I stayed I'd make sister within a year and could then apply for my nurse practitioner course. Weighing up the offer, it is only words and she doesn't have the authority to guarantee those things, but it's nice to hear her say she feels that's in my future. Yeah, so you see why it's confusing.
But I do need to leave. It will only benefit me going, learning how to leave a job, having PICU experience. If I don't like it, I can always come back (except I won't, cause it would look pathetic to come back to the same position so it would have to be as a sister, which takes time and skills I then need to work on). This could also be me in PICU forever, so should I really even care what other options are out there? I probably shouldn't, but I do, cause I'm insane and think ten years in the future.
So now I'm just waiting for my confirmation of my DBS clearance before giving my official two months notice. I'll spend that time doing as much reading and prep as I can, whilst fielding off people trying to convince me to stay. They all support me deep down, they just want me to stay cause they like me. It feels good, but yeah a little awkward.
Comments
Post a Comment